Sunday, April 13, 2008

One HOT Ethiopian Night


One more check off my dining experience list. I meet up with Tim and his classmate Tom for dinner at Mama Desta's Red Sea Ethiopian Restaurant. I've been wanting to try Ethiopian food for a while now...I like trying new things. This was an interesting experience indeed. First of all, I don't think I've ever had more burning hot, spicy food, and I'm Cuban! The fun part was, there were no utensils. Instead you use a piece of thin, spongy bread to scoop up the food from the communal plate. That was the only part I didn't like...the bread. It had a sour taste and a strange consistency. It was a bit difficult to ignore. That aside, the food was tasty and no forks or knives was fun and entertaining. I guess I just would have liked that food over a bed of rice...and maybe with different bread. The honey wine we got was delicious and the sambusa appetizer was also excellent. Would I do it again? Hmm...I think I would if a group of friends really wanted to try it. But I may recommend trying a different place, just to see if other Ethiopian restaurants use different bread.

1 comment:

Olivia Hein said...

hottest food you've ever tasted? note to self, never try Ethiopian food.

:)