Sunday, April 27, 2008




Friday night I went with Olivia to the "world famous" Cubby Bear to see her friend's band Indignant. Their myspace page describes them as punk infused rhythm and blues. Not sure I hear the punk, but nevertheless it was a fun live show with tons of energy.

I woke up early Saturday morning feeling surprising energized. I had to thank myself for having the brilliant idea of eating a huge bowl of pasta before going to bed the night before. That definitely saved my Saturday morning :) Later that day, Tim and I were invited to Sarah's house for a full on Cuba BBQ, a la Chef Lee. The food was amazing!! Lee went all out on this one! The menu included: Mojo marinated chicken, Sofrito chicken, pork, yuca, black beans and yellow rice, sweet plantains, crackers with cheese and guava paste, flan, and last but NOT least...Malta! It's always fun to introduce your friends to drinking Malta, they either love it or they hate it. Soon I'd like to do a little Cuban dinner party of my own. My menu would include: Ropa Vieja, Con gris (black beans and white rice, the combo makes the rice look gray), and empanadas. Mmmmmm.

Saturday night Tim and I went to see Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I have to say, I was pretty impressed with the movie. I would even dare to call it a perfect comedy. To me it was on-par with 40 Year Old Virgin...and Tim and I agreed that it was WAY better than Knocked Up. I'd recommend seeing it to any of my friends. One word of caution, there is no shortage of full frontal male nudity! Can you handle it?

Here is my current rank of Apatow films:
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Superbad
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Knocked Up
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (thanks to Sasha Baron Cohen)

Today I spent the entire day cleaning my apartment. The weather is so nice right now it felt good to open the windows to get a bit of fresh air circulating. Carisa will be very happy to come home from vacation to a clean house :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy you & Tim enjoyed the BBQ, it could have better for reasons I'm not gonna list on your blog.

As for your Apatow movie rankings, ANCHORMAN behind SUPERBAD. Really? Just an opinion, but Anchorman doesn't rely on gross-out humor to be funny. Superbad was very funny, but better than Anchorman?

Ahhh, to each their own Michi, to each their own.

Lee

Michi said...

Hmm, you've got a point. I think for both those movies you have to be in a certain "mood" to enjoy them...maybe I was feeling more in a gross out mood :)

Unknown said...

I'd have to agree with that list.. though I'd probably put Knocked Up on the bottom, that one just didn't do it for me.

And, just as Superbad 'relies' on dirty humor, you could say Anchorman 'relies' on generic, retarded Will Ferrell humor... don't get me wrong, it was funny back then, but its been the same thing in every Ferrell movie since.

My point? Yea, I've got none, but I like Superbad, haha.

Olivia Hein said...

Easy Mac and Cheese saves the day!