Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Music–New (to me) Hotness

I finally obtained some blank CD's for Tim to have his way with. I now have my hands on some new music to peruse! I haven't gotten through everything he burned for me, but some front runners have emerged:
Yeasayer, All Hour Cymbals
Sounds like sexy spiritual music. Ummm, just go listen to it.



Tokyo Police Club, Elephant Shell
I love songs like this that remind me of high school. Anthem-like, fist pumping fun. Check out In the Cave.


White Rabbits, Fort Nightly
"Fort Nightly is that rare debut where potential isn't the operative word-- White Rabbits deliver the whole package straight away. The NYC six-piece writes great songs that merge rhythmic intensity with grandiose melodrama in a seamless and inventive package."



Other stuff...
Holy Fuck, LP
Experimental..."Though it's taken from multiple recording sources, the album sounds reasonably unified, mostly because the important thing is to capture the group at its rawest and most inspired, which it consistently does. We often say casually that bands are "awesome" without thinking about the true meaning of the word-- Holy Fuck actually inspire awe during their best moments."



Chromeo, Fancy Footwork
"The band's self-consciously limited palette-- an electrofunk-by-numbers mélange of talk boxes, 808s, canned percussion, and Prince-style atmospherics-- is just another manifestation of their inability to tell a lie. If a song's called "Fancy Footwork", it's going to be about fancy footwork."

And now let's jump back about 20 years... I found this awesome Talking Heads video for Burning Down the House. This video used to creep me out when I was little, but the song still reminds me of my dad...he was a Talking Heads fan. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michi said...

Seems to me like it is impossible to avoid Spam in all areas of my life.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a new Blog subject.

A hug.

Lee