Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Weekend



It was a very busy long weekend indeed.
Friday started out strong with a show at Subterranean where Tim and I met up with Anna Maria to see Colour Revolt. The band members are old friends of hers from college (they were actually the house boys at her sorority). The band was great, with very strong guitars and vocals. They blew away Snowden, who was the headliner. They really sucked, to put it bluntly.

Saturday morning we headed to the Green City Market to enjoy some fresh air and fresh produce. We got here pretty late so everything was picked over. But it was nice just to be outside. Later that night we ate at Rock Bottom Brewery to celebrate Tim's friend Lance's b-day. Tim, Tom, and I eventually broke away from the group and continued having drinks at the Clark Street Bar.

Sunday afternoon we finally saw Iron Man. Overall I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was well done and well acted. Jeff Bridges as the villain was brilliant. With his bald head and beard, he looked like he was plucked straight from the comic books. There was rarely a corny moment of dialog (which is sometimes rare with comic book movies). The things I didn't like were: Tony Stark's character in the beginning. I guess I'm just used to humble comic heroes. He was totally unrelatable to me, which I guess is why I wasn't feeling the movie at first. For me the movie picked up when he became Iron Man the first time. But I also didn't like the scenes that involved the Taliban-like group. Those scenes just seemed a little too real, like the scene where the family is getting separated by gun point and the father almost dies in front of his kid. Guess that wasn't the type of seriousness I thought I was getting myself into with this summer flick. But the more I thought about the movie as a whole, the more I liked it. That said...it's no Batman. :)

Sunday night we made empanadas from my mom's recipe. They turned out surprisingly well considering that I couldn't get the dough disks to roll out like my mom does. So our empanadas came out a little smaller than normal, but they were still delicious. I'll have to ask my mom for help with those disks when she comes to visit next month. To accompany the empanadas, Tim and I enjoyed some Cuba Libres...mmm.

Today involved a lot of exercise walking along Michigan Ave in search of work clothes for Tim. We walked along almost the entire stretch of the city...starting out near the Sears Tower, stopping for lunch at Millennium Park, then continuing shopping near the Water Tower.

I'm sad to see the weekend come to end, but since I'm working from home again on Wednesday, it's not so bad.

2 comments:

Olivia Hein said...

spinach empinadas.... yummmmmmm.....

:)
glad you had a good weekend! let's try to meet up this week. how about tomorrow night?

Michi said...

Haha! I didn't make spinach ones. Someone get this woman some spinach ...stat! ;)

I may be going to a BBQ tomorrow night...I'll call you.