Saturday, May 03, 2008

home



I'm home in south Florida for a couple days to spend time with the fam and to enjoy the sun. My parents and I went to this awesome little Cuban restaurant called Mangos for dinner. I got the Ropa Vieja (mmm) and we all three shared a piece of Tres Leche. During dinner, my parents helped me plan a menu for an upcoming Cuban dinner party I'd like to throw. Arroz con pollo, tostanos, empanadas, and tres leche. Sorry Tim, my mom suggested not to make ropa vieja because it's kind of complicated :)

After dinner we visited my grandma, Nini. I mentioned that I liked her candy dish and she let me have it. It's a delicate little porcelain vintage dish with flowers and butterflies on it. The kind you could expect to pay about $25 for at Urban Outfitters or Anthropology...

Tomorrow plans include visiting my other grandma, Nana; some shopping with my mom; hopefully a little tanning time (god I'm so pale here); and another delicious dinner out somewhere.

3 comments:

Olivia Hein said...

mmm...empanadas....

please teach me how to make spinach empanadas. :)

have fun with your family!!

Anonymous said...

Meech, have we ever had spinach empanadas? Never heard of them. But they sound good.

Speaking of Cuban dinner, Sarah & went for a drink at Coobah yesterday. I was blown away by the prices of the entrees. Cuban food utilizes the least expensive cuts of meat & easily grown veggies. I dont care if its really good or a trendy place to eat, I will never pay 17.95 for a Cuban dinner... they didn't even have Hatuey Beer.

Enjoy Radiohead.

Lee

Michi said...

I've had spinach and cheese empanadas at Lito's in Lincoln Park. They are very good! I'm not sure how to make them though...I think they are Argentinian. I'll be rockin' the ground beef kind...mmm.

Tim and I had been planning to go to Coobah for a while now. I guess we'll skip it. There's two other places I want too try. Cafe Bolero and Cafe Laguardia. Both are highly rated on yelp.