Sunday, March 09, 2008

a weekend of food and birthdays

It was the weekend of dining out! On Friday night Tim and I meet up with my friend Jarrod and some friends at Avec, a very posh west loop restaurant. The interior was bold, but in a very simplistic way. Basically it looked like a sauna! The entire thing was wood, including the uncomfortable stool (that's right, a stool) that I was sitting on. It was a tapas style restaurant with "small plates" and "large plates", for sharing (FYI, they were all pretty small). However, I must say that this was some of the best food I've tasted in a very long time. You can tell a lot of love went into creating these dishes...they were a real treat. It's nice to splurge every now and then at a place like this, however, the next time I want a treat, I think I will stick with a local favorite...Frasca!

Saturday night was a little more my speed. The girls and I meet up for the final installment of Carisa's birthday week...at Que Rico! The atmosphere was warm and welcoming. We got a table in the back, as to avoid that cold draft from the door. We immediately ordered Margaritas. They were very yummy, and more importantly...strong. About halfway through the second drink, I felt that I had gotten my money's worth. However, the food...was pretty mediocre. Dona Torta, across the street from where I live, has way more punch and flavor to their food. Also, Carisa and I agreed that El Tapitio would win the battle in tasty Mexican cuisine. Putting the food aside, Que Rico! provided an excellent spot for what's most important to a great dinning experience...fun conversation with friends.

No comments: