Sunday, June 08, 2008

Hangin' with my Parents

Some highlights from this weekend:
Thursday night: meet up with Mom, Dad, and Lee for some sushi at New Tokyo, followed by dessert at a nearby diner.
Friday: Architecture Boat Tour part 2. This second go of the tour (which I did about 3 weeks ago) was more laid back. Instead of studiously attempting to absorb every last piece of information the guide had offer (which was a lot!), I relaxed on the lower level of the boat...enjoying cookies, lemonade, and the breeze with my family.
Chicago Blues Fest: We only got to enjoy a bit of it before it started pouring. But my dad and Lee were able to go back for more later.
Art of Pizza.
Took my parents to the best deep dish pizza joint in Chicago...which happens to be right across the street from my apartment. (which also happens to be very dangerous for the waistline.)
Saturday: University of Chicago campus tour. Lee took us on a tour of the campus where his hospital is located.
Chicago Brauhaus. Headed to Lincoln Square for dinner at this lively German restaurant. Note to self: never again unknowingly order the liver dumpling soup. Yuck. Otherwise dinner was tasty (or as tasty as German food gets), the German Chocolate cake was amazing!
Sunday: Ribfest. Mmmm 'nuff said.

The Chicago Tour: Since my parents have been to Chicago before, and are very familiar with the old standbys...Hancock, Sears Tower, Michigan Ave (Magnificent Mile), Millennium Park, the "Bean" etc, my brother and I tried to show them the 'hoods of Chicago.
Some of their thoughts:
Lincoln Park: They got to see the most of Lincoln Park. The lakeshore, the zoo, the culture...I think they really liked it.
Lincoln Square: Lee's new hood. Though it's kind of far from the city, they loved the residential feel and architecture of the homes. They said it looked like Brooklyn. I think this was my dad's favorite.
Wicker Park: eh...not so much. But they did enjoy the Victorian homes.
Roscoe Village: My mom's favorite and my old neighborhood. It's like a hip suburb in the city.
Gold Coast: Tim's 'hood. In hindsight, I wish I would have thought to bring them there. They would have loved the old historic mansions and brownstones. Next time, for sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

RibFest and the Cedric Burnside set at the Bluesfest were my personal favs. We had a Smokin' Good Time!

Lee

Unknown said...

My personal least fav: all the stupid rain, boo!

And yeah, I guess you haven't taken the 'rents to my neck of the woods.. what gives! I'm sure they'd fit right in at Tavern on Rush, come on................

............no, don't do that