Tuesday, July 15, 2008

City Girl

Today I had to drive out to DeKalb Illinois* for a press check. I had to be there by 8:30 am, requiring me to get out of bed at 5:45 this morning. DeKalb is about 2 hours west of Chicago. Ugh. As I made my way farther and farther from the urban setting I've grown so familiar with, I looked around in awe of how much land was all around me. Miles and miles of cornfields, farms, tractors, and irrigation systems. While I wasn't happy to be driving so early in the morning, it was nice to see this kind of scenery. But as I drove for what seemed like forever through the vast nothingness, I couldn't help but wonder...what the heck do people DO out here? I saw one Jewel (grocery store), zero movie theaters, zero restaurants, zero everything! I have to say though, this nothingness was better than driving through the suburbs...the land of Wal-Mart, strip malls, and Chili's. (I actually really like Chili's but you know what I mean.)

So today as I weave and swerve my way through traffic...as I curse the person who just cut me off, as I envy all the bicyclists while making my way to my box in a building – I will be happy, that I live in Chicago. :)

No comments: